A slice of cake and a fit lifestyle are not mutually exclusive. This easy recipe from Eva Kosmas Flores, the Portland, Oregon-based author of First We Eat, contains healthy fats from coconut oil and tahini. The latter is also rich in vitamins B and C, potassium, and methionine, an essential amino acid that promotes tissue growth and repair.
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. all spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c. tahini
- 3/4 c. honey
- 1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 2/3 c. unsweetened almond milk, at roo temperature
- 1 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Prehear the over to 375 degrees and grease an 8-inch pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, allspice, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the tahini, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla extract at medium-low speed until smooth. Add the egg and lemon zest and beat until combined.
- Add in half of the almond milk an mox at low speed until combined, then fold in half of the flour mixture and mix until nearly combined. Repeat again until a thick dough forms.
- Pour the dough into the cake pan and smooth it over with a spatula. Place the pan in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
See the instructional video here!
Recipe from Furthermore.
Share this Post