In honor of National Spaghetti Day, we are sharing the OrthoBee’s favorite braces-friendly bolognese sauce. This is one of the few times when chopped liver is a good thing! Bon appetit!
Ingredients (for 1 lb of pasta):
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 oz bacon (about 2 strips), chopped
1 large carrot, grated
2 medium celery stalks, grated
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb liver chopped (optional)
3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup white wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
salt, pepper, brown sugar to taste
- Add olive oil and bacon over low heat. Stir until brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and onion and stir over medium heat until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and chopped liver (optional), stirring until beef is browned.
- Add broth, wine and tomato paste, stirring over low heat until the sauce is thick and consistent.
- Add seasoning (salt, pepper, brown sugar) to taste.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate overnight before reheating to serve.
- Use a mandolin to grate the carrots and celery.
- Prepare all ingredients before starting to cook.
- Add extra carrots, celery or onions if you accidentally overseason.
- Add milk or heavy cream if you prefer an even heavier sauce.
- Freeze any leftover sauce.
Share this Post